September 1, 2019
READ TOGETHER DIAMOND BAR COMING IN OCTOBER!
HOW A BOOK CHANGED MY LIFE STUDENT ESSAY CONTEST
The deadline is fast approaching for students ages 13-18 to send their entries to our annual essay contest: "How a Book Changed My Life." It must be 1,000 words or less and mailed or dropped off at the Diamond Bar Library by Saturday, October 5, 2019. Please see the entry form attached to this e-newsletter as the completed form must accompany all essay submissions. Three $300 scholarships will be presented on Saturday, October 26 at 2 p.m. during the special afternoon with An Na, author of A Step from Heaven. You can also check out: http:4la.com/1TMW88 for essay flyer/application.
There will be several exciting milestones coming this fall for the Diamond Bar Friends of the Library.
- On Thursday, September 26 we will again host our annual Librarian Appreciation Luncheon. For many years we have invited our Diamond Bar librarians, the Walnut USD and Pomona USD principals and librarians to a catered lunch to meet each other and exchange ideas.
- Many interesting and fun activities for children, teens and adults are being planned by our librarians. Please continue to check the Diamond Bar Library website at LACountyLibrary.org for updates of activities that are being planned throughout October.
- Our featured books this October will be Roy Choi's L.A. Son: My Life My City My Food for adults; A Step from Heaven by An Na for Teens and young adults, and Drawn Together by Minh Lê and Dan Santat for children. Copies are available at the Diamond Bar Library.
- Join us for a very special author visit: Saturday, October 26, 2:00 to 3:30 p.m. Acclaimed author An Na will discuss her award-winning book A Step from Heaven, and talk about her writing process and inspirations. A book signing and the award ceremony for the winning student essays for the “How a Book Changed My Life” contest will complete the afternoon. This will be an exciting and rewarding afternoon.
- Then, on Saturday, November 16, 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. we are planning the 20th anniversary celebration for our non-profit book stores. Basically BOOKS was opened twenty years ago this November and we are inviting everyone in the community to celebrate with us. There will be refreshments and fun activities. Basically BOOKS raises a huge amount of money with all proceeds going directly to the Diamond Bar Library collections and programs. It is a positive community resource for so many as a welcoming gathering place.
- As you can see, we have a lot going on and we want you and your family to be a part of it. Please continue to check this monthly e-newsletter or the Diamond Bar Friends of the Library website at www.dblibraryfriends.com as the planning continues.
BASICALLY BOOKS IN DIAMOND BAR
Basically BOOKS, the Diamond Bar Friends of the Library's two non-profit bookstores, are friendly places serving the community as a resource for school, work and pleasure reading at exceptionally low prices.
Thanks to our generous donors, we have hundreds of high quality books and other media for sale. We have a large and interesting selection of foreign language books including Chinese and Korean. Stop by and check it out.
Besides our regular store hours we have monthly buck-a-bag sidewalk sales held on the third Saturday of each month. There are even more great bargains to be found at the monthly sales. Visit us on September 21, October 19 and November 16 from 8:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. for the upcoming sidewalk sales for 2019.
Both Basically BOOKS locations are having a food drive to feed homeless people in our communities. You can bring your donations to either book store during our regular hours. Some needed items are cup of noodles, top ramen, pudding cups, fruit cups, tuna & crackers, granola bars, cereal bars, Jell-O cups and a can opener. Thank you in advance for any donations you can make.
Bookstore Manager Peggy Murphy is actively looking for new volunteers to staff both locations at 23447 Golden Springs Road (near the intersection of Golden Springs and Diamond Bar Boulevard) and the bookstore at the Diamond Bar Library, 21800 Copley Drive (across from the AQMD Building).
All proceeds from both Basically BOOKS directly benefit the Diamond Bar Library. Gift certificates are available and make great birthday or special occasion gifts.
JOIN THE DIAMOND BAR FRIENDS OF THE LIBRARY
Thank you to Linette Velker for renewing her annual membership.
Consider a donation of $150.00 to the Friends of the Library. This donation gives you a lifetime membership in an organization that supports a valuable community service our Diamond Bar Library provides. It is not only a place to house books but offers a wide range services to our community as well as a gathering place for our community to meet. All donations are used to help maintain one of the premier libraries in LA County.
You can pick up membership envelopes at our Basically Books Bookstores, at the Diamond Bar Library or become a member through our website. Become a Friend! And stay a Friend of the Diamond Bar Library!
Visit our website www.dblibraryfriends.org
Thank you all for your continuing support.
IT IS ALWAYS THE PERFECT TIME TO RENEW YOUR MEMBERSHIP CONSIDER BECOMING A LIFETIME MEMBER
Diamond Bar Friends of Library website: www.dblibraryfriends.com
Diamond Bar Library website: LACountyLibrary.org
23447 Golden Springs Drive
Diamond Bar, CA 91765
Diamond Bar Library and Basically BOOKS
21800 Copley Drive
Diamond Bar, CA 91765
Diamond Bar Center
1600 Grand Avenue
Diamond Bar, CA 91765
|Saturday, September 21||8:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.||September Sidewalk Sale||Basically BOOKS on Golden Springs||Once-a-month opportunity to get great books and great bargains|
|Sunday, September 22||All week||Banned Books Week||A celebration of all banned or challenger books begins on September 22, so pick up a banned book in support of literary freedom.|
|Thursday, September 26||Annual Librarian Appreciation Luncheon|
|From October 1 to October 26||All month||Read Together Diamond Bar||Read Together Diamond Bar is a month-long celebration of community and literacy. There are many exciting, educational and fun events planned. Check out LACountyLibrary.org for continuing updates.|
|Saturday, October 5||How a Book Changed My Life Student Essay Contest deadline||Diamond Bar Library|
|Saturday, October 19||8:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.||October Sidewalk Sales||Basically BOOKS on Golden Springs||Once-a-month opportunity to get great books and great bargains|
|Saturday, October 26||2:00 p.m.||Closing event for RTDB 2019||Diamond Bar Library||Winners will be announced during special event with An Na, author of A Step from Heaven|
|Saturday, November 16||11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.||Twentieth Anniversary Celebration for Basically BOOKS||Basically BOOKS on Golden Springs||Celebrate with us for 20 years of Basically BOOKS in Diamond Bar!|
|Saturday, November 16||8:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.||Last Sidewalk Sale for 2019||Basically BOOKS on Golden Springs||Great time to pick up Christmas gifts and stocking stuffers.|
|Sunday, April 26, 2020||4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.||27th annual Wine Soirée||Diamond Bar Center||The best party in Diamond Bar!|
The Diamond Bar Friends of the Library monthly board meeting is open to the public.
The meetings will be usually held on the second Saturday of the month.
About LA County Library
Founded in 1912, LA County Library is one of the largest and most innovative library systems in the US. It offers free public resources including books, music, multimedia materials, computer and internet access, and educational and recreational services to 3.4 million residents across 3,000 square miles through its 87 libraries and mobile fleet of 18 vehicles, including 3 Bookmobiles, 10 MākMō maker mobiles, and 5 Reading Machines. LA County Library is dedicated to reducing barriers and increasing access to and equity of public services for all. To learn more, visit LACountyLibrary.org and follow @LACountyLibrary on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram